Friday, September 12, 2008

Mexi Lentil Rice

I still have to use the lentils I bought... maybe this will work for us.

Mexi Lentil Rice

this is an easy side or main dish. the cheese is optional. we eat it as a main dish. I can't remember where I got the beginning of this recipe but I have adapted it so much I don't think it would be recognized anymore. I make this in a crock pot but it could be made in an oven in a covered dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I've never tried making it on low heat so I don't know how long for that.
From Recipe Zaar.

2¼ hours | 10 min prep

SERVES 6

  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 1 cup dried lentils
  • 1 cup chopped onion, about 1 medium
  • 32 ounces water or broth, of choice
  • 1-2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
  • 2-8 ounces of shredded cheese

Toppings

  • shredded cheese
    sour cream
  • salsa
  1. spray inside of crock pot with non stick cooking spray.
  2. add all ingredients except "toppings" and mix well.
  3. cook on high for two to two and a half hours.
  4. serve topped with additional cheese, sour cream and salsa if desired.

0 comments: