Friday, November 16, 2007

Whole Wheat Flaxseed bread - 2 loaves

My Whole wheat Flaxseed bread

INGREDIENTS:

4 cups bread flour, more or less,
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milled flax seed
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon yeast (I use the active bread machine kind)
2 cups very warm water, about 120°
2 tablespoons softened butter

PREPARATION:
I would do this in my Kitchen Aid, if I had one. Instead I mixed it by hand. Put flours, flax, sugar & salt in a large mixing bowl. Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 c of the warm water. Add yeast mixture & rest of the warm water to the bowl of flour. Mix with a spoon until you can't then knead by hand until forms a smooth ball. Then spray the bowl with cooking spray & the dough. Place in a preheated oven (175 then off) let sit until doubled, about an hour.

Cut dough in half roll each half into a 12x9-inch rectangle. Starting with the narrow edge, roll up, turning ends under to make loaves to fit pans. Place rolls seam side down in greased loaf pans, 9x5x3-inches. Brush egg wash on for shine, if desired. Cover pans with clean towel and let rise in warm place until double, about 45 minutes. Bake loaves at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped with fingers. Remove from pans to racks; brush with butter for a soft, more flavorful crust.

Makes 2 loaves of bread.

I used a commercial "egg wash" spray that isn't used until it comes out of the oven. It was worth every penny!!!

5 comments:

Kelley said...

I was searching for a bread recipe using milled flax seed and found yours. I'm giving it a try today. :)
Thanks for sharing!
~Le;;ey

Kelley said...

sorry...I can't type :) LOL
~Kelley

Anonymous said...

I found this recipe on google searching for whole wheat flaxseed bread recipes - and it's definitely going in my "favorites"!! I made 2 loaves tonight, and this is a moist, delicious healthy bread. Was a hit with my husband who normally dislikes "healthy" food. Am glad to have another fabulous flax recipe to add to my collection. Thanks!

hyacinthgirl said...

Found your recipe while doing a search for Milled Flax Seed Bread. Have the bread in the oven right now. It was so simple, I can't wait to taste it!!! Thanks for posting!

milled flax seed said...

Milled Flax seed is a very good product. Lot of energy and whole lot of other health benefits for a cheap price !