Another possible lentil recipe. I have had an itch for chili. From Recipe Zaar
Veggie Lentil Chili Non Carne!
1 hour | 10 min prep
- 3 1/2 ounces puy lentils or green lentils
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 parsnip, peeled and grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 7 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 fresh red fresh chili pepper, deseeded and finely chopped, adjust to suit your taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 stock, cube
- handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Put the lentils in a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, not allowing them to boil dry. They should be almost cooked after this time.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and sauté the onion, garlic, carrot and parsnip for 10 minutes.
- Add the chili, ground coriander seeds and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Roughly chop the tinned tomatoes and add to the frying pan with the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and stock cube. Mix well.
- Add the lentils and stir well. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and heat through. Finally add the chopped cilantro leaves.
- Serve with brown rice and a garnish of natural yogurt.