Sunday, August 3, 2008

CHUNKY APPLE CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING - **Update

I made this last week, we didn't make the frosting, just served the cake with vanilla ice cream. It wasn't the best I've ever made, I'm not sure I'll make this again.

If I do, I'd use smaller chunks of apples, I broke apart the slices, but they didn't bake down enough so they were chewy. It was also difficult to gage when it was done cooking. I took it out too early because the "toothpick" test didn't work.


CHUNKY APPLE CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
Chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)

STIR together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.

COMBINE flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring
until blended. Stir in apple slices and 1 cup walnuts. Spread into a
greased 13- x 9-inch pan.

BAKE at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center
comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Spread with
Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with walnuts, if desired. Yield: 12
to 15 servings.
Prep: 25 min., Bake: 45 min.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

BEAT cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer
until creamy. Gradually add sugar and salt, beating until blended.
Stir in vanilla.
Yield: 1 2/3 cups.

1 comments:

Kelly said...

OMG does this sound good!!! I found you via a comment you left on Simple Mom's menu planning post and then I started clicking and I ended up here.
Anyway, I'm contacting you because of this food blog. I'm starting my own food blog, an offshoot of my main blog Almost Frugal, and I was wondering if you would like to contribute a recipe to my Friday recipe exchange 'Friday is for Food'. Here is the food site http://almostfrugal.com/food/ and you can find the info about the recipe exchange in the nav tabs. It would be great if we could set up some sort of link exchange or guest post situation; it seems like we're coming from similar points, frugal and food.
Go ahead and delete this comment after you read it, I couldn't find an easy way of contacting you otherwise!
Thanks in advance,
Kelly