Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sourdough second rise

***Edited to add that I used 1/4cup of vegetable oil & 1/4cup olive oil in this.***

After having revived my original starter mix I started the bread making process yesterday. I used the following recipe from my Sourdough group

SOURDOUGH BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

2/3 cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup active starter
1 ½ cups warm water
6 cups bread flour

I start with 5 cups of bread flour and then add the remaining cup as needed, depending on the humidity.

Mix ingredients in a large bowl.

Grease or oil a container. (I use a clear, straight-sided plastic container) Put dough in container and flip over
to cover top of dough with oil or grease. Cover with a clean, damp cloth.

Let stand 6-8 hours or overnight.

Punch down and divide into 3 parts. Knead each part 8-10 times on a lightly floured surface.

Shape and put into 3 greased (I use a non-stick cooking spray.) and brush tops with oil (or butter).

Cover and let rise 4-5 hours. I put pans in a large plastic bag and tuck the ends under the pans to make it airtight.
Make sure you “tent” the bags.

Bake at 325F to 350F for 30-35 minutes. I use an instant read thermometer to 197F.

After baked, brush tops with butter and cool on cooling rack.

When cool, wrap in plastic cling wrap, then aluminum foil and freeze.

Note: This recipe originally called for a potato based starter, but I use all my starters with this basic
recipe. It is a slightly sweet bread as I have doubled the amount of sugar used in the original recipe due
to demands from my “guinea pigs” at work.


Adapted from a recipe at www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,164,147175-243201,00.html

I have 2 long loaves going & one round. They are currently sitting for their 4-5 hour rise.





This is a picture of my "sponge" I will be using this to make my bread tomorrow

0 comments: