Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Apple Pie - Deep Dish

Crust


Sweet Butter Pie Crust


I doubled the recipe as printed on the site



  1. 1 cup cold butter, cubed

  2. 4 cups flour

  3. 1/2 cup sugar

  4. 1/2 tsp salt

  5. 1/2 cup cold water (added as needed not all at once)


I used my stand mixer so I just attached the paddle and tossed in everything but the water, put on my pour shield & turned it on to #2.  It really never got to a pea sized grain like I would have expected in a food processor.  I started adding the water until it started to form a ball.


I covered the bowl & put it in the refrigerator.  I didn't roll it in to disks because I had no idea how much dough my bottom crust would require since I used my new Pampered Chef deep dish stone ware pan. 


For the filling I peeled cored & sliced about 4 pounds of apples, I would use more for a really deep pie next time.  I precooked the apples in a Dutch oven with a can of applesauce (I have a bunch so it was just a filler), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp of cinnamon,  1 tsp nutmeg, & 2 Tbs cornstarch just until the apples started to get soft.


I rolled out the dough for the bottom crust adding about 2 inches more than I thought I would need.  It ended up being thick on the bottom which was good.  I poured in the filling & then rolled out the top crust.  I trimmed & crimped the edges, then cut a few slits in the top. 


I ended up using 1/2 of the crust recipe for the bottom & than half of what was left for the top, so I had 1/4 of the crust recipe left over.


 Perfect to have put in the freezer for a single crust pie, but we ate it dipped in cinnamon sugar, because we are weird like that!


This baked for about an hour at 350 degrees.  I did an egg wash and sprinkled some sugar on top towards the end (last 15 minutes).


I'd love to say I have pictures but I don't, next time!




0 comments: