Wednesday, April 4, 2007

PIEROGIE BAKE


**Edited to add picture** I didn't make a huge pan of these I only did 8"x8" so I only used half the potatoes & only a few noodles, I caramelized the onions in a little butter & layered it with some mozzarella cheese. So my dish went potatoes mashed with sour cream, cheese, noodles, onions, potatoes, cheese, noodles, sour cream, cheese. SO really I didn't follow the recipe at all, which is usually what happens!!! I cooked it for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. I thought it was good, just like a pierogie!

I'm not sure why the Easter season leads me towards craving Polish food, but it does! It could be that I live near Buffalo & soon our TV will be filled with video from the local Dyngus Day festivities. It could be that I consider myself Polish by osmosis (adopted into a half Polish, 1/4 German, 1/4 Swedish household, crazy I know!). But when this recipe arrived in my in-box I just had to put it here & add it to my menu for next week!

PIEROGIE BAKE

16 oz. lasagna noodle, cooked
6 c. mashed potatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 1/4 c. butter

Put butter and onion in small pan and melt over low heat. Remove from
heat. Put a layer of lasagna on bottom of 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Put
2 cups of mashed potatoes on the noodles, spread the potatoes on the
noodles, spread the potatoes on the noodles; do this 2 more times. Put
1 more layer of noodles. Pour butter and onions over top. Bake for 30
minutes at 400 degrees. Cut and serve.

0 comments: