Friday, March 30, 2007

English Muffin Bread (oven)

I made this the other day, so I took a picture! I used 2 long loaf pans instead of 2 regular loaf pans (use what you have right!). I could have gotten a taller loaf if I had only used one, so I'm noting it here, then I won't forget next time I make it!!!



2 pkg yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
6 Cups Flour
1 Tbs Sugar
2 tsp Salt
2 Cups Milk
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Water
Cornmeal

Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt & baking soda in a large bowl. Heat liquids in medium saucepan until 120 degrees F. Add to dry ingredients & beat well. Mix in rest of flour to make a stiff batter. Grease 2 loaf pans and sprinkle with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans. Cover with a clean dish towel; let rise in a warm place ~ for 45 minutes. Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes. Remove from the pans imediately and let cool.

~To have a warm place for the bread to rise I turn my oven to 200 F, place an inch or two of hot water in a metal pan. Put the pan in the oven on the bottom rack & then turn off the heat. Put the loaf pans on the rack above the water filled pan, still covered with the towel & let rise for 45 mintues.

It is easier to freeze slices layered with wax paper, cut the slices to fit in your toaster, than the whole loaf.

This bread is excellent just as it is, but it is amazing toasted with butter & honey or jam.

1 comments:

Kimberly McKay said...

This looks yummy! Check this recipe out and let me know what you think: http://restaurantalert.wordpress.com/recipe-share/