Saturday, May 17, 2008

Lemon Bar Failure

*** Update*** I tried some later in the evening & it wasn't nearly as bad as right after dinner, still very sour, but tolerable. We had the bean salad for a side dish & I think it was just too much acidity al together...


I received my first issue of Everyday Food today & just had to try the Creamy Lemon Squares. I have been craving tangy lemon for a while now & I had the ingredients (or so I thought).

I made the shortbread crust, yummy, smelled wonderful. Then to the filling 4 egg yolks, a can of sweetened condensed milk & lemon (3/4 cup fresh). Well I only had the "lemon" that Aldi has, it's a lovely green jar! Works great as a drain freshener & making lemonade, so why not. Well I used the whole 3/4 cup. Guess I should have cut it back a bit (or added more sugar). I baked them, chilled them & served them... EWWWWWW. Even my husband couldn't eat them. All you could smell was the milk & all you could taste was lemon. It wasn't pleasant at all.

Lesson learned never directly sub bottle for the real thing with out tasting it first...

Cafe Britt Father's Day Gifts

0 comments: