Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Sour Dough Experiment

I am going to try a sour dough starter. I'll update with pictures & everything.

Today we beat together 2 c flour (AP), 2 cups water, 1 T honey, 1 T yeast. It's sitting in my laundry room under a towel. I am supposed to stir it daily for 2 to 5 days until is smells sour & yeasty, then to the fridge it goes.



Day 1

Day 2



Day 3



Day 4

In the fridge waiting for me to have time to bake a loaf! I did attempt a loaf before I put it in the fridge (I fed it with 1/2 cup flour & 1/2 cup of water & let it sit out uncovered for 12 hours) but I don't think I let the dough rise enough. The bread recipe calls for adding more yeast to speed the rising process, but since I have these crazy hours right now I might just prepare a loaf in the AM without the extra yeast, then it will have all day to rise... We'll see!

0 comments: