Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Cashew Chicken

I made this a couple months ago. I had chicken halves, precooked & cubed. I used powdered ginger & left out the bamboo shoots & peas. I substituted frozen broccoli. It was easy & tasted great. This is one of my favorite takeout dishes, I found this to be a suitable replacement (& cheaper!)

Cashew Chicken
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1"strips
4-5 mushrooms, sliced
3 green onions, sliced into 1/2" pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp grated ginger root
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 (8 oz) can sliced bamboo shoots, drained
1/2 cup cashews, toasted
1/2 cup Chinese pea pods
2 tbs cornstarch
3 tbs water
Cooked rice

Place chicken and mushrooms in a slow cooker. Add green onions, soy sauce, ginger, broth, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low about 4 hours. Add bamboo shoots, cashews and pea pods. Turn control to HIGH. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in water. Stir into chicken mixture in cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 20-30 minutes or until thickened, stirring at least once. Serve over cooked rice.

3 comments:

Monds & Mayberry said...

Oooh, I can't wait to give this recipe a try!!!

Lorie said...

Wow this sounds so good! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

That sounds like it will be really yummy! Can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.