Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Honey-Cumin Roasted Pork with Caramelized Onions

I usually buy the whole pork loin when they go on sale. I have had the butcher process them but it's not too hard to do your own. I usually request it cut in 3rds, 2 as roasts & 1 cut into chops. The nice thing about having it done at the store is that it is already wrapped. If I do it at home I use zip lock bags, if I had a food saver I would seal them...~~~hint hint~~~

I have made this recipe a couple of times, both with rave reviews!!! I don't know about 12 servings out of a 3 pound roast though, I guess it depends on who you have eating it!!! Last time I made it I served it with garlic mashed potatoes, yummy.

Honey-Cumin Roasted Pork With Caramelized Onions Low fat
1 (3-pound) boned pork loin roast
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 large onions (about 2 pounds), cut into 8 wedges
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Trim fat from pork; score a diamond pattern on top of pork. Combine the honey and the next 4 ingredients (honey through red pepper) in a small bowl. Combine 2 tablespoons honey mixture and onion wedges; toss well to combine. Place the pork on the rack of a broiler pan or roasting pan. Arrange onion wedges around pork. Brush the remaining honey mixture over pork. Insert a meat thermometer into thickest part of pork. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until thermometer registers 155 degrees (slightly pink). Place pork on a platter, and cover with foil. Let stand 10 minutes for the pork to reabsorb juices. (Temperature of the roast will increase 5 degrees upon standing).
3. Remove rack from pan. Add 1/2 cup broth to drippings in pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Combine drippings mixture and 1/2 cup broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Cut pork diagonally across grain into thin slices; serve with onions and sauce.

Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork, about 1/4 cup onions, and 1 tablespoon sauce).
CALORIES 212 (35% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 2.8g, mono 3.7g, poly 0.9g); PROTEIN22.7g; CARB 11.3g; FIBER 1.5g; CHOL 62mg; IRON 1.4mg; SODIUM 403mg; CALC 28mg

0 comments: