Saturday, December 30, 2006

French Onion Soup

This is what is for dinner tonight! I am writing what I did & used. Smells fabulous!



2 medium yellow onions, sliced
1 stick butter (salted)
1 cup Red wine
3 cans Beef broth
dash worchestershire sauce



Melt Butter in a soup pot (I used my dutch oven, my stockpot would be too big). Cook onions in butter until they are translucent. Add the wine & simmer for 20 minutes. Add the beef broth & simmer.

I will be using wheat bread for the "Crouton" & a smoked cheddar for the cheese, because that is what I have, but it is best served with French bread for "crouton" & Swiss or provolone cheese.

Ladle soup into individual bowls add crouton & top with cheese. place under broiler until cheese is browned.


1 comments:

Lisa Knight said...

***Update***

I used a little garlic, put in in when the onions were almost done & The red wine we used was a yellow tale Shiraz. It was ok to drink (I'm not huge into dry reds for sipping, unless I'm eating prime rib or something)